Sunday, April 10, 2016

Peer Review 11a

In this blog post I will be reviewing Sarah's video essay segment that she did for Project 3 about children and the time they spend on screens.

Here is her intro to her video essay!

For this post I will be mostly focusing on the form of her video essay, so I will be learning and giving suggestions for the conventions and structure of a video essay.

First of all, I think Sarah's topic is very interesting and she has an overall intro that has definitely caught my attention. I think that her actual content is very solid and her voice over has exactly what a video essay needs. (Also, I love her title)
Just some suggestions:

1. I would say that the pictures sometimes get a bit repetitive as she speaks. For example, they all seem to have the same animation that makes the visual piece of the essay not as strong as her content. So I would suggest maybe changing some of the animation.

2. On a more specific piece, when she says  "iPhones, iPads, tablets" I think it would be interesting if she flashed those three devices one after the other as she spoke them to connect the reader's ears with their eyes, making the content that much more powerful.

When reviewing her video essay I hope these suggestions help throughout the video because I think it's important to make the visual connect to the audio pieces of the essay.

I included pages 70-73 of the Student's Guide which dealt with specific ways on how to peer review as well as pages 123-127 for specifics on what a video essay has and what makes it powerful.

Finally, what I learned from her work is the importance of a good title. I feel like she had a very strong title which drew the listener in, something I will try to incorporate for my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment