Thursday, February 18, 2016

Local Revision: Tense Usage

This next post is looking at the different tenses that I used in my QRG. By looking at these, I can analyze my writing, seeing my most prominent tenses.

Past
Present
Future
must have been
did
saw
felt
has been
declared
was over-vaccinating
sparked
given
was
nipped
seemed
glinted
stood
claimed
was threatened
banned
has been distributing
has
studied
worked
was
owned
has been banned
said
said
has spread
located
said
said
was not following  
needed
said
have read






































Have -2 has-5    given -2

Having
is
don’t have
are being
bringing
put
have
been given
need
are saying
don’t have
have
is
to read
think
decide
is more credible
to trust
threatening
holding
protest
passing
fights
is wrong
are smaller
believes
is hurting
giving
parallels
is bustling
can be smelt
blare
line
Playing
is
changes
driving
call
can be seen
is
recedes
is
distinguish
barking,
meowing
can be heard
walk
is
to receive
is
is based
is
is located
can be heard
are
stating
are
speaks
to show
to deliver                                            
believes
can be validated                          
are seen
believes
is
to decide
are
see
take
think

is -15    are -7  have- 4   believes -3  decide-2 can be heard-2


"Using English Grammar Graphics" 17 May 2008 via Wikimedia Commons. Attribution ShareAlike.




1. The most prevalent tense I use in my QRG is the present tense, followed by the past tense, and I used no future tense in my draft.

2. By using mostly the present tense, I think that it brings the reader to the situation as if they were really living the event. Using the present tense brings the past event to the present in order for people to relate and understand the information in a more 'now' time period. I also used the past tense because the event was in the past, so there had to be a lot of use of the past the describe what people believed.

3. In my QRG, I tend to switch tenses for each section, so I think that allows for a less harsh transition between tenses because it allows the reader to finish the idea, then start a new idea with a new tense. When I speak about my main event on page two, there are multiple tense shifts and I am not 100% sure that they are with smooth transitions .

4. I think that using present tense is a very powerful tool in a past event because it is more personalized and, as I said before, it gives readers the feeling as if they were in the event today. So, I used mostly this tense to convey this more personalized feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment